This Villa, located on the Monte di Barbiano, was built in 1575 by Cardinal Filippo Guastavillani. The building still preserves the impressive dimensions of the time.
In 1927 it was used as a care facility for children who were poor and of feeble constitution, up to the 22nd March 1944 when it was hit by air raids. The villa was not abandoned, instead it was refurbished to transform it into a sanitarium for tuberculosis prophylaxis. The boarding school remained in operation until the mid-sixties.
In 1992 the villa was acquired by the Municipality of Bologna and was used over the years as hostel, kindergarden, site for activities of social and educational interest, until in 1996 the complex passed on to the University of Bologna who, based on a project of the architect Roberto Scannavini, took care of refurbishing and converting it as headquarters of an advanced study centre. Nowadays villa Guastavillani hosts classrooms and offices of the Bologna Business School focused on teaching advanced courses in business management.