Via San Vitale is divided into two segments. The first starts from the foot of the Two Towers and reaches Piazza Aldrovandi and has a prevalently noble and upper-class character, and the second, from Piazza Aldrovandi to the gate, which, apart from a couple of exceptions, has a more middle-class and popular character. A couple of yards from the gate rises the tall portico of the S.Maria della Pietà Church, completed in 1604. According to the tradition, the church of S. Vitale e Agricola would have been consecrated as far back as 430, but this might be wrong. What we are sure of is that this church was built in remote time, as proven by the suggestive pre-Romanic crypt, divided into three apsidal naves, which preserve some relics of the two saints.