Welcome is Bologna

Architecture and Monuments

Historical buildings and streets

Archiginnasio

Archiginnasio

The construction of the Palace was commissioned by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563 following the project by architect Antonio Morandi called Terribilia; it was to house the lecture halls for the University Study (Law and Arts). Up to 1803 it was the seat of the University and since 1838 it has been housing the Civic Library.

Palazzo della Mercanzia

Palazzo della Mercanzia

Seat of the Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Agriculture and Crafts, Palazzo della Mercanzia has governed trading and business activities of Bologna since the late 14th century.

Palazzo Ghisilardi Fava

Palazzo Ghisilardi Fava

The palace, built for Bartolomeo Ghisilardi at the end of the century, is the exemplary model of a 15th-century's noble house from Bologna.

Palazzo del Monte di Pietà - Palace of the Pawnshop

Palazzo del Monte di Pietà - Palace of the Pawnshop

At first, the XV century building used to house  the canons of the nearby Cattedrale di San Pietro. In the XVI century, the pawnshop of St. Peter was there established (the Pawnshop was a non-profit financial institution loaning limited amounts of money in exchange for pledges).