Porta Galliera could be called the “Gate of the hostile fortress” (“Porta della rocca ostile”) because of the nearby standing fortress built by the cardinal Bertrand du Pouget in 1330-1333. The fortress was repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt: five times between 1330 and 1511. Since its origin, the gate has had an important function to line up and join the main water streams of Bologna alongside the road to the Po plain and Ferrara. The gate was built in the 13th century with a keep, it was rebuilt several times during the following two centuries and on the occasion of the visit of the pope Clement VIII in 1598. The present look is the result of the reconstruction carried out in 1660-1663. One of the important events related to this gate was the entrance of the convoy of vessels coming from the river port of Corticella. The convoy included the bucentaur (a special magnificent vessel) of Giovanni II Bentivoglio with his entourage and guests who came to inaugurate the canal and the new port inside of the city of Bologna with animated participation of the people.