Welcome is Bologna
MAP

Piazza San Martino

Piazza San Martino – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Reference maps: C - 4

Date of last update: 09/05/2016, 17:32

The square can be divided into three different areas: two of them lead to via Valdonica and via Marsala respectively, and the third one is the yard of San Martino's Church.

In the churchyard, the statue of Madonna del Carmine by Andrea Ferreri (1705) rests on a thin stone column. The church dates back to 1217-1227 and it was enlarged during the 15th century when the river Aposa flowing in front of it was covered  thus extending the building and removing the footbridge through which people could enter the church.

Today, at the level of the pavement, a sort of tailboard conceals a steep staircase leading underground to the river Aposa, which is not accessible at the moment.

Source: Le Piazze di Bologna (L'inchiostroblu)

by bus: lines and timetables on the website www.tper.it
by car: located in restricted traffic zone ZTL. Ring road exits n. 11/11bis-12 direction city center
Nearby