This renaissance-period residence is located on the east side of the main square of Imola, in front of the town hall. It was built in the 15th century by Girolamo Riario, Lord of Imola and nephew of Pope Pius VI.
The beautiful terracotta façade has a Roman portico with 14 arches over decorated columns. The building’s elegance is defined by the fine terracotta decoration of the arches and around the windows of the main floor.
At the end of the reign of the Signoria in Imola, the ground floor was occupied by silk dealers who raised silkworms on the mezzanine. Towards the end of the 18th century, the Sersanti family bought the palace.
Since 1930, it houses the “Circolo Cittadino Sersanti” dedicated to promoting culture and art.
The building underwent careful restoration, and a permanent collection of paintings by Anacleto Margotti is displayed in the salon on the main floor. Main themes of the collection include life in the fields, the work of farmers and the simplicity of country life.
Palazzo Sersanti is private, but it can be visited on appointment.