Welcome is Bologna

Architecture and Monuments

Historical buildings and streets

Palazzo d'Accursio o Comunale

Palazzo d'Accursio o Comunale

The Town Hall was originally intended to keep the public reserves, "some grain-growing and municipal offices”. In 1336 it became the residence of the Elders, the highest judiciary of the City Government. It is currently the seat of city government.

Palazzo Re Enzo

Palazzo Re Enzo

Palazzo Re Enzo was built between 1244 a 1246 (when the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo was also built as an extension of the Municipal buildings). The palace was also known as the 'new palace' to differentiate it from Palazzo del Podestà. Just three years later the palace became the 'residence' of the King taken prisoner in the battle of Fossalta: Re Enzo from Sardinia, son of Federico II.

Palazzo del Podestà

Palazzo del Podestà

This was the first seat of the town government, represented by the Podestà and his judges and officers.

Palazzo dei Notai

Palazzo dei Notai

The ancient seat of the guild of Notaries as indicated by the three ink pots and quills depicted in the coat-of-arm on the façade.

Palazzo dei Banchi

Palazzo dei Banchi

Palazzo dei Banchi was the last palace to be built in Piazza Maggiore. It was designed to hide the narrow streets of the market behind it.