The first port of Bologna arose from the present Sostegno di Corticella. It was built by Vignola with the elliptical-shaped navigation basin in 1548 and maintains the manoeuvring of the Riva Calzoni. In the outskirts are visible the body of water known as the "Pelago", fuelled by a derivation of the canal, and the fountain of Gabella Grossa, which was once used by the boatmen. The caretaker's house treasures a rich collection of navigation tools from the canal, which are kept under the custody of the Association "L'Oasi dei Saperi". The support of Corticella served as last docking port until the 40s of the twentieth century.