Welcome is Bologna
MAP

Sostegno del Torreggiani

Via del Sostegno, 5 - 40131 Bologna (BO)

Reference maps: H-9

Date of last update: 09/05/2016, 17:59

The Sostegno (Lock) Torreggiani was built around 1560. The complex is composed of the operating house, the lock for boats and some residential buildings. The operating house, conserved in its original form, was decorated by a relief of Virgin Mary with Child in terracotta until a couple years ago: now, there is only empty alcove in terracotta. Locks for navigation were built in bricks and they allowed boats to pass over different terrain levels on their way.