Welcome is Bologna
MAP

Parks and gardens

Bologna preserves manifold green treasures, from the secret courtyards hidden by the front doors of ancient palaces, to the splendid parks and gardens where people can rest and enjoy pleasant moments. Following the list of some of the main green areas of the city, both downtown and in its immediate surroundings.

Giardini Margherita

Giardini Margherita

It is the largest and certainly the most popular city park. It was designed by the Piedmontese Sambuy  to provide Bologna with an ample green and public place as in other Italian and European cities. It was opened in 1879 with the name of “Passeggio Regina Margherita” ( as a tribute to the wife of King Umberto I).

Orto Botanico

Orto Botanico

The Botanical Garden of the University of Bologna is one of the oldest in Italy. It was founded in 1568 on the initiative of Ulisse Aldrovandi (1522-1605). After several transfers found its permanent home in Via Irnerio, a short distance from Via Zamboni. The total area is about two hectares and on it have grown more than five thousand specimens of native and exotic plants.

Giardini di via Filippo Re

Giardini di via Filippo Re

The garden in Via Filippo Re is in front of Palazzina della Viola in the very center of the University area and not far from via San Donato.

Giardino del Guasto

Giardino del Guasto

This garden has been created in 1974 by Gennaro Filippini. It once belonged to the Bentivoglio family that ruled Bologna until 1506.

Parco 11 Settembre

Parco 11 Settembre

Public park near the Cineteca of Bologna, with entrances from Via Azzo Gardino, Via Riva di Reno and Via del Castellaccio. The park is located in the space of ex Manifattura Tabacchi.

Parco di Villa Angeletti

Parco di Villa Angeletti

The green area covers about 8,5 acres along the right bank of the canal Navile. . It takes its name from Villa Angeletti which was destroyed during the Second World War

Giardino Ferruccio Busoni di Villa Mazzacorati

Giardino Ferruccio Busoni di Villa Mazzacorati

The garden surrounds a historical monumental villa, old country residence inhabited by the Bologna's noble families Marescotti, Aldrovandi and Mazzacorati from the beginning of 16th until the last century. The neoclassic appearance of the villa is the result of transformations in the second half of 18th century.

Parco di San Michele in Bosco

Parco di San Michele in Bosco

The park of San Michele in Bosco is owned by Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute: a part of this park is called Remo Scoto Garden.

Giardino Remo Scoto

Giardino Remo Scoto

Located in the Rizzoli hospital's property, on the south side (of the lower level), across the street Codivilla,  the garden Remo Scoto, is part of the park of  San Michele in Bosco.

Parco di Villa Ghigi

Parco di Villa Ghigi

The park is located on the first hill slopes south of the city, just outside Porta San Mamolo. It has a surface of approx. 28 hectares.

Parco di Villa Spada

Parco di Villa Spada

The park has an extension of about 6 hectars on the mountain ridge situated between the river Meloncello and the valley Ravone. Groups of trees and lawns alternate on the hillside of the Casaglia Hill that descends to Saragozza street.


Entrance: crossing of Via di Casaglia and Via Saragozza

Giardino di Villa delle Rose

Giardino di Villa delle Rose

At the entrance of the garden a magnificent staircase, composed of several flights, and a winding plane tree-lined avenue, lead to the villa going through the gentle slope. Built in the eighteenth century as the summer residence for the Cella family, the villa includes an elegant balcony boasting the panoramic view.

Parco di San Pellegrino

Parco di San Pellegrino

The park is situated in a nice panoramic position on the mountain ridge between the valleys of Meloncello and Ravone and it descends from the Monte Albano towards the Villa Spada. There is a nice view to San Luca.

Parco di Monte Paderno

Parco di Monte Paderno

The Park stretches to the peak of Paderno Mountain (359 mt.), one of the most popular elevation in the hills surrounding the city.

Parco di Forte Bandiera

Parco di Forte Bandiera

The park has been gradually acquired by the municipality during the '60s and '70s. Today it covers an area of 16 hectares.

Parco del Paleotto

Parco del Paleotto

The Park extends on the link side of the valley of Savena river and stretches on the riverbank for a short distance   The Park was named after the Bolognese dynasty of  Paleotti who managed the lands along the hills up to the church of Jola for a long time.

Parco dei Calanchi di Sabbiuno

Parco dei Calanchi di Sabbiuno

The Park is located in the farthest end of the city area, on the borderline of the town of Sasso Marconi. It stretches to both sides of the ridge between the Reno and Savena rivers, across the route of Sabbiuno (on the tracks of an ancient road that leads to Tuscany).

Parco della Chiusa

Parco della Chiusa

Called also Talon, consists of what remains from the villa and the park of the Marquis Talon Sampieri.