The ghetto is an ideal place for a relaxing stroll through its peaceful and hidden alleys, starting from via de' Giudei, which was the entrance for people coming from piazza di Porta Ravegnana.
Via dell'Inferno was the main artery where many twisted streets ended: via de' Giudei, vicolo di S. Giobbe, vicolo Mandria, via del Carro and via Valdonica.
The most important religious building in the ghetto is Buratti House, the ancient seat of the synagogue (via dell'Inferno, 16): it was built in the mid-1800s and it was heavily restored in 1955 after being seriously damaged by the war.
In order to have the most striking view of the tower, we suggest taking via San Simone from via Oberdan and turning into vicolo Mandria on your right.
Piazzetta Marco Biagi is located in the Jewish ghetto, between via dell'Inferno and piazza San Martino.
The square can be divided into three different areas: two of them lead to via Valdonica and via Marsala respectively, and the third one is the yard of San Martino's Church.
Opened on May 9th, 1999, the Jewish Museum of Bologna (MEB, Museo Ebraico di Bologna) was established with the aim of preserving, studying and promoting the rich cultural Jewish heritage deeply rooted in Bologna as well as other places in Emilia Romagna.
The only original entrance to the former ghetto which still exixts today is the vault connecting San Donato church (18th century) to the ancient Manzoli-Malvasia palace built over the remains of a 13th century house, of which only a few door arches remain.
This building owned by Achille Bocchi (1488 – 1562) of Bologna, a humanist writer, was opened in 1546 after a project by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola and soon became the seat of his Hermatena Academy.
The first Jewish cemetery in Bologna, located between the Baraccano church and the church of San Pietro Martire, was closed in 1569 after the expulsion of the Jews from the town.
This building was home, private oratory and bank of the Jewish Sforno family coming from Barcelona that moved to Bologna in the 15th century.