La scienza delle Armi. Luigi Ferdinando Marsili (1658-1730)
The exhibition The science of arms. Luigi Ferdinando Marsili (1658-1730) has been organized to mark the re-organisation of the Military architecture rooms of the Palazzo Poggi Museum. It is not just a question of restyling because the new organisation is the outcome of a careful examination of the material donated by Marsili after the conclusion of his military career (1704). It includes scientific instruments, models of forts and artillery, pictures and portraits with a military theme, treatises and drawings that together constitute one of the most important collections in Europe of military history in the modern era.
For the occasion of the exhibition restoration work was carried out and concluded on various items.
Moreover, some model reconstructions will provide an immediate view of how war was waged between the 17th and 18th centuries.
For the purposes of the exhibition the Library of the Archiginnasio has loaned the Museum a series of etchings by the French engraver Jacques Callot, who was inspired by the ferocity of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648) to produce eighteen tablets, which over the course of time have become veritable anti military icons.
The re-organization of the Museum has also involved the model ship room, which is now combined, as it was originally, with the collection of geographical charts and maps from the 17th and 18th century.
Download Marsili's Spirit, the geolocation App created by Bologna University which is activated near the main museums and libraries keeping Marsili's objetcs (Biblioteca Universitaria di Bologna, Accademia di Belle Arti, Museo Medievale, Museo Archeologico e Chiesa di San Domenico).